Call for 2014 Area Choreographers Festival Submissions
Contemporary Dance Theater has proudly supported the efforts of local artists for 41 years.
Each spring, Contemporary Dance Theater produces a performance featuring local and regional artists, called Area Choreographers Festival (in the past, Choreographers Without Companies).
For the 2013-2014 Season, choreographers who are part of a company, choreographers who have a company, and choreographers without companies are invited to apply.
Priority consideration will be given to artists with ties to the Greater Cincinnati region who are making contemporary dance and are seriously committed to choreographing for area professional-level dancers.
This year, a portion of the 2014 Area Choreographers Festival will be produced in collaboration with Llanfair Retirement Community (neighbor to CDT in College Hill). The collaboration portion of the Area Choreographers Festival (presented annually at the Aronoff Center for the Arts) will allow dance artists and the retirement community’s residents to explore the residents’ life stories through contemporary dance.
Choreographers may either apply to present a work of their own origination OR they may apply to to be a part of Contemporary Dance Theater’s collaboration with Llanfair Retirement Community, entitled Chronicles (see below for details).
Choreographers may submit more than one proposal, but a maximum of one proposal per choreographer may be accepted for this year’s concert.
How to Apply
The deadline for the 2013-2014 season is December 16, 2013 for the Area Choreographers Festival to take place June 13 & 14, 2014. Notices are expected to be sent by January 15, 2014.
1. A video of recent work (within the last 3 years).
2. A bio of the choreographer (one page or less, should include training and previous choreographic experience).
3. FOR GENERAL ENTRIES: A description of the work; this should include as much information as is known at the time, such as: subject matter or style; accompaniment, number of dancers; length in minutes; new or reworked; technical demands; set and or costume issues; rehearsal needs or plans.
TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION FOR THE COLLABORATIVE CHRONICLES PROJECT WITH LLANFAIR RETIREMENT: In addition to the above, please address your interest in this project, your prior experience (if any) with making dances from stories or interviews of others, and your general ability to participate and adhere to the timeline. (See below.)
4. Accepted artists will be asked to provide 2-4 high resolution images for marketing purposes as soon as possible after acceptance. If you do not have such images now, please do not let that deter you from applying.
- All works must be new/premieres.
- The work may not exceed 15 minutes.
- The work cannot be a work created to satisfy an educational requirement (master’s project, thesis project, etc.).
- Applications that are late or substantially incomplete will not be considered; however, all the information about the project need not be determined by submission time.
Materials that are transmissible by email should be sent to email@example.com.
Applicants may send other completed application materials to:
Contemporary Dance Theater
Attn: Area Choreographers Festival
1805 Larch Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45224-2928
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of peers, and participants will be notified through email.
More Details: Chronicles Collaboration with Llanfair Retirement Community
Part of the 2014 Area Choreographers Festival will be produced in collaboration with Llanfair Retirement Community (neighbor to CDT in College Hill). The collaboration portion of the Area Choreographers Festival (presented annually at the Aronoff Center for the Arts) will allow dance artists and the retirement community’s residents to explore the residents’ life stories through contemporary dance. While choreographers may apply to bring their own works to the Area Choreographers Festival on Friday & Saturday, June 13 & 14, 2014 8:30pm, Contemporary Dance Theater and Llanfair invites choreographers to apply to participate in this special portion of the production.
The project will begin with stories in written form from the Llanfair residents. These 1-2 page writings will be given to the choreographers to review and select for use. The choreographers may depict, develop, or interpret one or more stories through dance and will be invited to conduct one-on-one interviews with their chosen residents. The artists and residents are encouraged to interact deeply and often, made part in possible by the proximity of Llanfair’s home to CDT’s studios.
CDT, with the help of the choreographers, will also offer an educational program at Llanfair during the partnership on this event. The purpose of the workshop is to offer residents an opportunity to learn about modern dance and create interest in the formal presentation at the Aronoff.
Residents and families will be invited to attend the premiere performances at the Aronoff in June, but the project would ideally also entail a scaled-down performance at Llanfair for those unable to travel.
The dance works should last between 10-15 minutes, and we expect to have several of these works premiere in the concert.
- Late January 2014: Choreographers will review and choose stories.
- February – May, 2014: Creation of dance. Engagement between artists and residents.
Artists and residents will also be asked to collect and provide relevant photography, videos, and captions related to the residents’ stories and/or the choreographic process. These materials will be used in order to market the performance and create a lobby display.
- Spring 2014: Artists will conduct the aforementioned workshop at Llanfair for residents and families on contemporary dance.
- June 2014: Technical rehearsals and performance. Performance: June 13-14, 2014. Also, TBA date: a scaled-down version to be presented at Llanfair for those residents who are unable to travel.
Please email Artistic & Executive Director, Jefferson James at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (513) 591-2557.