Call for 2020 Area Choreographers Festival Submissions
Contemporary Dance Theater has proudly supported the efforts of local artists for 47 years.
Contemporary Dance Theater produces a late spring performance featuring local and regional artists, called Area Choreographers Festival (in the past, Choreographers Without Companies).
For the 2019-2020 Season, choreographers who are part of a company, choreographers who have a company, and choreographers without companies are invited to apply.
Priority consideration will be given to the presentation of new work and to artists with ties to the Greater Cincinnati region who are making contemporary dance and are seriously committed to choreographing for area professional-level dancers.
Collaborations with composers, visual artists, and/or writers are encouraged.
Choreographers may submit more than one proposal, but a maximum of one proposal per choreographer may be accepted for this year’s concert.
How to Apply
The deadline for the 2019-2020 season is Monday, November 25 for the Area Choreographers Festival to take place June 5 and 6, 2020. Notices are expected to be sent by January 15.
1. A video of recent work (within the last 3 years).
2. A bio of the choreographer (one page or less, should include training and previous choreographic experience).
3. A description of the work; this should include as much information as is known at the time, such as: subject matter or style; accompaniment, potential cast members, number of dancers; length in minutes; new (preferred) or reworked; technical demands; set and or costume issues; rehearsal needs or plans.
4. Accepted artists will be asked to provide 2-4 high resolution images for marketing purposes as soon as possible after acceptance. If you do not have such images now, please do not let that deter you from applying.
- The work may not exceed 15 minutes.
- The work cannot be a work created to satisfy an educational requirement (master’s project, thesis project, etc.).
- Applications that are late or substantially incomplete will not be considered; however, all the information about the project need not be determined by submission time.
Materials that are transmissible by email should be sent to email@example.com.
Applicants may send other completed application materials to:
Contemporary Dance Theater
Attn: Area Choreographers Festival
1805 Larch Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45224-2928
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of peers, and participants will be notified through email. All selected participants will receive choreographic honorariums.
Once selected, participants will be required to:
- Provide open rehearsal times for viewing by CDT staff.
- Put up posters and distribute promotional materials in the Cincinnati area.
- Provide bios for choreographers (200 words) and dancers (100 words) along with high resolution head shots.
- Provide 2-4 high resolution images for marketing purposes.
- Help promote the concert and encourage attendance by friends, and associates.
- Promote in as many ways possible the presentation of ACF 2020.
- One or more choreographers may be asked to teach a master class the weekend of the concert or previous weekend to draw attention to the events.
- Be available for interviews or possible radio or television spots.
Please email Artistic & Executive Director, Jefferson James at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 513-591-1222.
Please share this call!